Dental health forms an essential part of the body well being. Bacterial and other infections regularly affect the gums and teeth. Getting rid of these infections is vital in maintaining strong and healthy teeth. One of the processes that help to keep clean and free from infections teeth is dental prophylaxis. This is a procedure that completely clean and gets rid of dental diseases on the teeth. Dental diseases and gingivitis are caused by bacterial deposited in the gums causing irritation which in turn destroy the gum and the bone. After these infections, the teeth may shift and often fall off entirely.
Regular dental visits are highly recommended to establish and prevent serious teeth infections. During the visits, the dentists carry out some of the following checkups. Gums diseases assessment, x-rays to check decays tooth and root arrangement,screening of any cancer signs and testing of tooth decay. While undergoing the regular checkups,the dentist may recommend the need for prophylaxis which is performed by dental hygienists. They are high and experienced dental professional and must be registered by relevant authority before they are allowed to practice.
Prophylaxis is a tremendous procedure that has the following significance:
- Helps in removal of tartar which is deposited on the gum. These buildups on the gum may cause severe infection if not treated and can only be removed by a dentist using specialized tools as the regular brush can fail to get rid of it.
- This cleaning process helps in removal of stains on the teeth which causes discomfort to many people.
- Many oral diseases lead to lousy breath mostly brought by food particles left on the teeth. The cleaning of teeth helps the removal of bacteria which causes terrible breath restoring fresh breath.
Prophylaxis is performed in several stages as the dentist may recommend it. Some of these stages may include:
- Thoroughly cleaning of the gum to get rid of calculus and plague. This would be done in both above and below the gum line using scaling utensils.
- Smoothing of the tooth root to remove any bacterial left which is very dangerous and most prominent cause of tooth problems.
- Use of antibiotic which helps in healing of the gum and eliminating discomfort caused by infections.
- X-rays may be done to help locate any other infections on any part of the tooth or gum that may need attention in future.
It may be impossible to remove all the dental diseases, but prophylaxis is one of the effective ways to prevent serious teeth infections. This process is recommended once or twice a year as a prevention measures in maintaining healthy teeth.