A lost tooth filling is not something that should cause you to panic. You only have to call your dentist and inform them about what happened. This way, they can give you instructions on what you should do, mostly if it fell off during the weekend. If it’s on weekdays, you can visit a dental office. You can click here for more details if you are in search of a dental provider.
Lost tooth filling
This oral situation is not an emergency, even though it can be frightening. It is not only a filling you can lose but also a crown. Still, it is not an emergency. However, it would be best if you inform your dentist about it.
A lost filling or crown can cause sensitivity to your teeth. It can even cause pain or discomfort. In general, fillings and crowns serve as tooth protection which has damage due to decay or trauma.
However, if you neglect this situation for a long time, it can lead to further damage and decay. For this reason, it would be best to consult your dentist.
What should you do?
Here are a few things that you can do if you happen to be in this situation of a lost filling.
- First and foremost, keep your filling or crown in a safe place. Your dentist can salvage it if it’s still in good condition. In effect, you would be able to save money and time for a repair or replacement.
- Secondly, it is best to visit your dentist. This way, they could check the affected tooth and do repairs. In this case, your dentist will do dental cleaning first. Aside from that, if the dentist notices other oral concerns, further procedures can be necessary.
- Lastly, the dentist can either place back the original filling or crown or might provide you a new filling or crown.
When you lost a filling, you don’t have to panic. Instead, you only have to take extra care while you are in that situation. The video below can also help you on what to do at home for a lost tooth filling, especially this time of the pandemic.
As mentioned, you still have to go to your dentist. During your dental appointment after your filling fell off, you have to expect the following to happen:
- Your dentist may require you to get a new filling if they can still repair your tooth. Moreover, the filling comes in several types. The dentist will even let you choose which one you prefer.
- Additionally, your dentist may require a root canal, crown, or cap. Your dentist will recommend you to a root canal specialist to do the procedure. Root canal procedure is usually necessary if there’s a deep cavity or an exposure to your tooth nerves.
- You may also need to undergo tooth extraction if the condition of your affected tooth is severe. In effect, your dentist will have to present a treatment plan for you about replacing your tooth.
A lost tooth filling should not cause you to panic, but it is also not something you should leave unattended. It can lead to more severe oral conditions in the long run.
Dental filling care
A tooth filling usually lasts long, depending on how the patient takes care of it. Lost or damaged tooth filling has significant factors why it happens. For example, persistent grinding or clenching of teeth, or the dental filling is already old. For this reason, a new filling is necessary to protect your tooth continuously.
The following tips will allow you to protect your tooth filling and make them last for an extended period.
- Brush and floss your teeth thoroughly. Furthermore, it would be best to do it at least twice a day. Besides that, brushing and flossing have proper techniques that you should follow.
- Rinsing with an alcohol-free mouth wash is also excellent for reducing oral bacteria.
- Choose healthy snacks. Sugary or sticky foods can damage your tooth filling.
- It would be best to quit smoking or using tobacco products.
- Furthermore, drinking water is a lot better than acidic drinks.
- It will help if you prevent biting on hard foods, even chewing ice.
- Overall, the best thing you should maintain is to have a regular visit with your dentist. Preventive dental care is an essential practice you should keep regularly.
It is possible to make a cosmetic dental procedure exceed its usual lifespan. However, that depends on how you take care of it. If you don’t do the necessary dental care, you might need repair or early replacement. This condition only signifies you’d be spending money before the set schedule.
Lost Tooth Filling: Conclusion
Given these points, we can say that a lost tooth filling is not an emergency that should make you panic. In contrast, you will only need to do extra care on it before your dental appointment. However, you should never consider a lost tooth filling as a situation you should take lightly.
In general, tooth filling also has to be taken care of, just like caring for the natural teeth. As a result, it can entirely serve its purpose to protect the tooth from further damage. A tooth filling is an excellent option to restore your teeth function, especially for chewing.
Nowadays, several dental filling materials are already available. The patient is free to choose based on their preference. Overall, they only differ in appearance but will offer the same purpose. You can read online about dental restorations such as crowns and etc to get more details.